- Name Brooke Schoenman
- Occupation Traveler / Writer
- Country of (Temporary) Residence Australia
- Country of Origin USA
- email/contact/ website http://brookevstheworld.com, Twitter: @brookeschoenman
- 6. Why do you love Travel?
That is a really tough question! I love to see new places, experience other cultures and all that fun stuff…. but I think I also love travel because I feel like I am at my best when I’m doing it. In my normal life, I’m quite reserved and shy, but when I head out on the road – by myself – I come out of my shell.
- 7. Favourite place in your home country and why?
Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio – It is THE BEST roller coaster theme park EVER! I was raised from a young age on roller coasters, and I still look forward to the bigger and the better!
- 8. Best place for tourists to visit in your country?
Uhm… Cedar Point? The country is so big; it is hard to pick out the best. Everyone should experience New York City and get a taste of the southwest states in my opinion.
- 9. What other country would you live in if you had to leave your country?
Australia! At least that’s where I am trying to live at the moment. Hopefully, I will be applying for a partner visa with my Aussie boyfriend come later this year!
- 10. Favourite activity when around your city?
It has been a while since I’ve been home! Peoria, Illinois is not a small city, but it is not Chicago either, so there isn’t much in the area of tourist attractions. I really just enjoy hanging out with friends and family, going to dinner, going bowling or catching a concert.
- 11. Do you feel you know your country well, or is more exploring of your homeland needed?
I definitely need to explore more of America. Perhaps, if I bring my boyfriend home with me, I will have more motivation to see the rest of the States. The US is truly gigantic, and I have only been to Arizona in the West. Many people laugh when they hear I’ve traveled to Kyrgyzstan but have never been to Washington D.C.
- 12. Any warnings for travellers visiting in your country?
If English is not your native language, try to learn a bit before coming over. Outside of large cities, people may not know how to help or understand foreign tourists as they don’t see them as often.
- 13. Must see movie featuring your country and Why?
I’m drawing a blank… The only thing that keeps coming to mind is “American Pie” and all the other teen/college type movies that make us look ridiculous. Please don’t base your idea of America on these
- 14. The must eat dish or delicacy of your country?
A good burger, apple pie and chocolate chip cookies As surprising as it was, I happened to miss a good burger (not McD’s style) when on the road. They’re just never the same abroad!
- 15. The top three sayings to make travellers stay in your country easier?
How much? Can you tell me where… ? Thank you.
- 16. Best time of year to visit?
I guess that depends on what you want to see. For Australians that never see snow, winter (their summer) is a good time to visit many states. The southern states get very hot in the summer, so try to get to them in the spring or fall.
- 17. The 4 words that best describe your country:
Diverse. Gigantic. Expensive. Proud.